The Old Oswestrians Club was founded in 1952.
Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt created a spirit of service so impelling that we have all been influenced by it....
The special bond felt by orthopaedic surgeons who had trained at Oswestry led to the idea of forming a society, with the following philosophy
"Old Oswestrians must kindle the flame, and we hope to meet year by year in social and scientific friendship"
Its members consist of Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons who have worked at Oswestry at some time in their career.
Thus the Old Oswestrians Society was formed but this was later changed to The Old Oswestrians Club after it was discovered there was already an "Old Oswestrians Society" in the town for alumni of Oswestry Grammar School.
Our aims and objectives are broadly speaking, to meet annually in scientific, academic and social friendship and to perpetuate what might be termed as "the Oswestry tradition" - Old Oswestrians' must kindle the flame!
Our first nominated president was Sir R Watkin Jones
Our first ever members of our Executive Committee were:
John C Menzies was the first Honorary Recorder of the Society
PHOTOGRAPH AT OUR INAUGURAL DINNER
This photo was taken at our Inaugural Dinner at the Savoy Hotel in London on 30th June 1052.
Sir Reginald Watson Jones FRCS was presiding and it was when the club was refered to as the Old Oswestrians Society.
CHAIN OF OFFICE
The Chain of office was presented to the club by Mr W N Laurence and is displayed in the Institute of Orthopaedics at the Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Gobowen, Shropshire which is the Headquarters of the Club.
Please use the menus to find information on archived meetings or present programmes.