The Old Oswestrians Club was founded in 1952. It was originally named "The Old Oswestrians Society" but this was later changed to The Old Oswestrians Club after it was discovered there was already an "Old Oswestrians Society" in the town for alumni of Oswestry Grammar School.
The club's aims and objectives are:- broadly speaking, to meet annually in scientific, academic and social friendship and to perpetuate what might be termed "the Oswestry tradition" - Old Oswestrians' must kindle the flame!
Our first nominated president was Sir R Watkin Jones
Our first ever members of our Executive Committee were:
Mr John Bristow
Mr John Charnley
Mr Alexander Miller
Mr Guy Pulvertaft
Mr James Wishart
Mr John C Menzies was the first Honorary Recorder of the Society
The Chain of office was presented to the club by
Each year medals are presented to our orthopaedic trainees for their outstanding work and achievements at the annual Awards Presentation Evening following on from the annual meeting in June.
Award winners have their names recorded for posterity on honours boards. These can be viewed in the Lecture Theatre, located in the Institute of Orthopaedics at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Gobowen, Oswestry, Shropshire.